Workshop "PyQt Introduction"
Special Linux and KDE Tutorials at
2004 KDE Community World Summit
(in Ludwigsburg/Germany, Region of Stuttgart, 21st to 29th of August)
Getting up to speed with PyQt
Instructor: Roberto Alsina (KDE Developer)
Tutorial Language: English
Tutorial Day: Friday, 27th of August 2004
Tutorial Timing: 9:00 h - 17:00 h
Registration available via our online web form
You are a developer (any language) and are asking yourself:
This tutorial is the right one for you then.
Requirements: The PyQt tutorial is aimed at...
- programmers already familiar with Python. You'll learn in a day how to create very easily and quickly a GUI to your Python scripts.
- programmer familiar with any high level language. In preparation for this course you should take one day to go through this Python introduction (Yes, you can learn enough Python in a day).
This tutorial will provide, in a day, the basic concepts necessary for developing applications using PyQt, the Python binding of the easy and powerful multi-platform Qt toolkit used by KDE. Your new PyQt programs will not just run inside KDE -- they'll run on all major operating system platforms: Linux, Unix, Mac OS X and Windows..
The main advantage of using PyQt instead of C++/Qt is the dynamic nature of the language, enhancing the programmer´s productivity. The most frequent comment from people trying PyQt is that it is i"natural to use".
The tutorial will include these topics:
- Basic Qt concepts: signals/slots, parent/child
- Quick tour of Qt functionality
- The differences compared to C++/Qt
- Designer and pyuic
- Advanced tricks: hacking the classes without inheritance, custom widgetry, distutils packaging
About the instructors:
Roberto Alsina has developed using Qt for 7 years, and PyQt for two. He has taught computing classes for 10 years.