freedesktop.org has happened, is happening, will happen
KDE Contributor and Developer Conference
2004 KDE Community World Summit
Speaker: Daniel Stone
Talk is scheduled for: Saturday, 21st of August 2004, 17:30 - 18:30
Check the Schedule for an overview of all talks during this conference.
This talk will discuss many facets of freedesktop.org:
Firstly, a short history of fd.o: its initial goals and participants, and its achievements (and failures?) to date.
A very broad-based overview of current projects, and their relevance to KDE. This will include discussions of the various standards, D-BUS, UIM/FriBidi and friends, and also the current X work being undertaken by myself and many others.
- Standards - which standards are there? What's the status of their adoption? Who's pushing and/or using them?
- D-BUS - where is it now? What needs to happen to make it usable? How does it work c.f DCOP?
- UIM/FriBiDi - does KDE really need a shared BiDi framework? What's the status of KDE's BiDi support?
- HAL - discussion of the entire 'Project Utopia' stack and what KDE can/needs to do to match and better this.
- X - what are the various trees for? Where are they going? What are the new extensions? Who is working on what? Where is X going in the next few months and years?
freedesktop.org - where we see freedesktop.org going, and its future relevance; plans we have for its expansion.
About Daniel Stone
Suggestions and inquiries direct please to KDE aKademy Team.